Tom Platz had the biggest legs of any bodybuilder to date. They were just “Massive” as hell. He’s secret was high volume. Wait till you see his leg workout routine! It’s a killer!!
… 8-12 sets of squats!!!
Tom Platz Leg Workout Routine
- Squats 8-12 sets of 5-20 reps
- Hack Squats 5 sets of 10-15 reps
- Leg Extensions 5-8 sets of 10-15 reps
- Lying Leg Curls 6-10 sets of 10-15 reps
- Standing Calf Raises 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps
- Seated Calf Raises 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps
- Hack Machine Calf Raises 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps
Tom Platz was the only bodybuilder that I know that really loved leg workouts. He was much more intense than any other bodybuilder I have seen. Tom would squat 225 for 100 reps… 350 for 52 reps…and 495 for 23 reps.
When squatting or deadlifting heavy, it’s important to have proper weightlifting/squatting shoes for maximum support and stability. Regular running shoes are not a good idea. There’s too much cushion in the bottoms. This extra cushion absorbs energy which could be applied to the load. So you loose power…not good. The cushion also leads to instability because it will move when you put a heavy load on it.